At more or less 11:00am we were off and running towards Inch Beach, a popular surfing beach in Killarney. It's only 5 euro to rend surf equipment for the day there! Unbelievable! Now, we had packed swimsuits in case it was nice enough for a dip, but it's Ireland and we're Floridian girls, so of course it wasn't. Even without us being used to Daytona-temperature water, it was particularly chilly even for the Irish folks and we instead settled for a drive down the beach and a few pictures during a brief stop before loading back up and heading back out onto the open, if narrow, road!
We traveled the roads of Killarney, snapping pics out the window as we drove (which Jess and I lovingly refer to as 'drive-by shootings') all the way until Dingle. Dingle is in fact the legitimate name of this town and all I can think of when I hear it is Dinkletown from VeggieTales 'The Toy That Saved Christmas' which is niche, I know, and not the best joke or reference on could make about a town named Dingle, but that's what I have! We just drove through town quickly, but we did stop at the Aquarium very briefly because I seriously had to pee and it was the only place we saw that probably had free bathrooms. They did and Jess and I got to see the gift shop, so that was decent!
As soon as we hit to road again we found our way to one of Catherine's favourite places for food and drink, a place called Paide O Se's. I have no idea what it means, but it had excellent chicken curry! We were told in advance that the curry in Ireland is particularly good, which one wouldn't really expect but these people really like their curry I guess! The restaurant was a short walk away from a beach so Catherine, Jess, and I took a lovely stroll down there to see what we could see. It was warmer than it had been earlier, but still windy and brisk, so we only looked again. There were no waves on this beach at all really because, according to Catherine, the wind is higher in the air making it a prime location to parasailing!
Back on the road we did more drive-by shootings of some fabulous views as we entered basically the Historical Epicenter of Killarney and possibly Ireland. The stretch of road was filled with signs directing tourist (and Irish people with school-age children doing projects) to prehistoric houses and sights which somehow all exist on the same street. We passed Bee Hive Huts and Iron Age rock structures, most of which were swarmed by tourists who apparently love super old stuff but only in foreign places.
Not that it's not interesting, but I guarantee none of these people would visit a rock hut if they were back home unless someone paid them to go. We did stop for a few seconds at the Iron Age rocks to quickly run up to the gate and snap a few pictures as we just couldn't part with the 2 euros it cost to go see them super close. They probably looked about the same there as they did outside the gate anyway.
Taking the long way back to the town of Dingle we saw two girls hitch-hiking on the side of the road and decided they looked like a fine pair and picked them up, as they were going to Dingle as well. Along the way we all talked about ourselves, Jess and I explaining to the girls what we were doing in Ireland (and Europe) and vice versa. Paula and Matilda told us in they're beautiful accents that they're from Leon, France and they're here to work for the summer. The pair do gardening during the week then hitch hike on the weekend in order to travel across Ireland. Once the summer ends they'll head back to Leon where Matilda will return to her studies to become a nurse and Paula will go back to art school for her drawings. Both girls were lovely and we had a grand time driving together to Dingle. I've never picked up hitch hikers before (cause I don't have a car obviously), and I've never been with anyone who has, but it was a nice experience. I'm not saying I'm gonna pick up a legion of hitch hikers once i get my license, but it was a fun adventure! And that is what we came here for!
In Dingle, Catherine went for a coffee and to see some friends at their work, leaving Jess and I to wander the town for an hour on our own. We popped into the Dingle Library first to see what that was like because we're like that. Jess and I have worked in libraries almost all of our lives and it was marvelous fun to be in a foreign one! The library was small, and not much different from our own except for the prevalence of Gaelic writing and much larger selection of foreign movies and books. Not even just Irish books and movies, ones from all over the world shelved with everything else. In the states we have separate sections for foreign films, so that was cool. Side story, but I say 'in the states' because cousin Michael informed us that most, not all, Irish people and probably European people think it's silly to call the US 'America' because they use America as a term referring to North and South America. Canada is 'America', Mexico is 'America', the US is 'America' and so on. We're all lumped together. So here we say the US or the states. I'd never thought of that before! How interesting!
Back to business, after the library Jess and I strolled about town, window shopping and comparing the price of Irish goods to US ones. They're about the same, more often than not cheaper, if you're wondering. We found ourselves back in the Aquarium gift shop where we discovered a big craze in Ireland is Squishies! These toys are essentially softened and themes stress balls that are definitely building off the Slime Craze as they're very much stim-related items with a soft touch and texture. All the kids in the shop wanted and them and I wasn't surprised because they were fun to hold! Pulling ourselves away from the shop empty handed we walked by the pier back to the car where we met with Catherine, at a granola bar for endurance, and carried on.















No comments:
Post a Comment